[CentOS] Urgent help on replacing /var

Emmanuel Noobadmin centos.admin at gmail.com
Sun Aug 5 04:07:08 UTC 2012

On 8/3/12, John R Pierce <pierce at hogranch.com> wrote:
> if you had any database servers like postgresql or mysql, and their data
> files were in the default locations under /var, your databases are
> undoubtably corrupted, unless you stopped the DB server(s) before doing
> this copy.

I think the fortunate thing is that everything else important on the
server was running in their own VMs with their own LVM partitions. So
luckily there doesn't seem to be anything important affected by my
stupidity, the most important I wanted saved were the LVM
configuration and VM configs which fortunately were in standalone XML
files.

I *think* I probably could had quickly reinstall a bare minimum C6 to
fix it, but after realizing my epic foolishness with replacing /var, I
didn't want to take any chances of anaconda wiping all the LVM
partitions.