[CentOS] compare zfs xfs and jfs o

Johnny Hughes johnny at centos.org
Sun Aug 5 14:59:55 UTC 2012

On 08/04/2012 10:05 PM, Keith Keller wrote:
> On 2012-08-04, Johnny Hughes <johnny at centos.org> wrote:
>> As Nux! initially said, ext4 is the OS that RHEL and Fedora support as
>> their main file system.  I would (and do) use that.  The 6.3 kernel does
>> support xfs and CentOS has the jfs tools in our extras directory, but I
>> like tried and true over experimental.
> Isn't XFS on linux tried and true by now?  It's always worked great for
> me.

I suppose that depends on your definition.  It has only JUST become
supported on RHEL ...

> Does ext4 resolve the issue of slow fsck?  Recently I had a ~500GB ext3
> filesystem that hadn't been checked in a while; it took over 20 minutes
> to fsck.  Meanwhile, a few months ago I had a problematic ~10TB XFS
> filesystem, and it took about 1-2 hours to fsck (IIRC 1.5 hrs).  This
> was also a reason I switched away from reiserfs (this was well before
> Hans Reiser's personal problems)--a reiserfsck of a relatively modest
> filesystem took much longer than even an ext3 fsck.
>
> If I get some time I will try it on some spare filesystems, but I'm
> curious what other people's experiences are.
>
> I've looked into ZFS on linux, but it still seems not quite ready for
> real production use.  I'd love to test it on a less crucial server when
> I get the chance.  Their FAQ claims RHEL 6.0 support:
>
> http://zfsonlinux.org/faq.html

My experience is that I normally do not have any issues with ext3 on EL5
or ext4 on EL6 ... problems being that I can not use the system because
the IO is too slow, for example.

Other people might want to pick and prod and get the top 5 or 6%
performance they can out of a machine ... I would rather use what is
supported unless there is a reason that I can not do it in production.

That is why it's your machine ... you get to do whatever you want ...
and keep all the pieces :D