[CentOS] Strange device labeling in 6.3

Richard Reina

gatorreina at gmail.com
Thu Aug 9 17:33:43 UTC 2012

I have just installed 6.3 on a machine that was previously running
5.8. Under 5.8 eth0 was eth0. Now with 6.3 /sbin/ifconfig gives me lo,
wlan0 and p4p1 (instead of eth0).  I would like to make the ethernet a
static IP as I intend to for this to be machine used on my LAN only.
However, when I do /usr/sbin/setup -> Network Configuration the device
is not listed.  Can anyone tell me why this is happening and how I can
fix it. Or if not how I can set a static and persistent IP address for
the ethernet?

Thanks,

Richard