[CentOS] Strange device labeling in 6.3

Kahlil Hodgson kahlil.hodgson at dealmax.com.au
Thu Aug 9 21:52:34 UTC 2012

On 10/08/12 03:33, Richard Reina wrote:
> I have just installed 6.3 on a machine that was previously running
> 5.8. Under 5.8 eth0 was eth0. Now with 6.3 /sbin/ifconfig gives me lo,
> wlan0 and p4p1 (instead of eth0).  I would like to make the ethernet a
> static IP as I intend to for this to be machine used on my LAN only.
> However, when I do /usr/sbin/setup -> Network Configuration the device
> is not listed.  Can anyone tell me why this is happening and how I can
> fix it. Or if not how I can set a static and persistent IP address for
> the ethernet?

try editing

/etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules

change p4p1 to eth0 as the value for NAME

reboot

hope this helps

Kahlil (Kal) Hodgson                       GPG: C9A02289
Head of Technology                         (m) +61 (0) 4 2573 0382
DealMax Pty Ltd                            (w) +61 (0) 3 9008 5281

Suite 1415
401 Docklands Drive
Docklands VIC 3008 Australia

"All parts should go together without forcing.  You must remember that
the parts you are reassembling were disassembled by you.  Therefore,
if you can't get them together again, there must be a reason.  By all
means, do not use a hammer."  -- IBM maintenance manual, 1925