[CentOS] Missing dependency in C6 ISO

Rajagopal Swaminathan raju.rajsand at gmail.com
Sun Aug 12 00:30:31 UTC 2012

Greetings,

On Sun, Aug 12, 2012 at 12:19 AM, Karanbir Singh <mail-lists at karan.org> wrote:
> On 08/11/2012 07:40 PM, fred smith wrote:
>>> I can also confirm that its impossible to install everything on
>>> CentOS-6. That is by design, there are functional overlaps that are
>>> enforced at the rpm level that prevent you from doing so.
>> KB: I assume this was done for some useful purpose, not simply to
>> make sure nobody can install everything if they want to...
>
> Right, its based on duplicate functionality. in some cases ( like
> sendmail + postfix ) you can indeed install both. But in others, you cant.
>
>> back in the RH5/6 days (not RHEL) I used to commonly choose an
>> "everything" installation. now that the distribution is so big
>> I don't even try, anymore.
>
> yeah, and the idea of 'everything' is a bit odd given that you can now
> include external repos - so you might get an everything install that
> brings in 12,000 rpms - runs for 3 days to get done - and needs 50GB of
> disk space :)..

Thanks KB, for the explanation.

I will be more careful this time around.

The missing dependency  I was talking about was about :

/quote
** Found 1 pre-existing rpmdb problem(s), 'yum check' output follows:
1:emacs-23.1-21.el6_2.3.x86_64 has missing requires of libotf.so.0()(64bit)
/unquote

I got this error when trying to install scribus

--
Regards,

Rajagopal