[CentOS] compare zfs xfs and jfs o

Joerg Schilling Joerg.Schilling at fokus.fraunhofer.de
Sun Aug 12 10:31:36 UTC 2012

Gordon Messmer <yinyang at eburg.com> wrote:

> On 08/04/2012 07:01 AM, ashkab rahmani wrote:
> > i want to share it on network via nfs.
> > which file system is better for it?
>
> I have a hard time imagining that you'd get useful information from
> cross-posting this to the FreeBSD and CentOS lists.  Their
> implementations of filesystems are completely different.
>
> If you use a CentOS NFS server, I'd recommend ext4.  In benchmarks, I

Whatever you do, don't use bemchmarks to compare Linux with other OS, Linux
cheats.

A benchmark tries to do something completed and then get the time for that but
I've seen Linux to try it's best to prevent this completed set of actions to
happen withing a known time.

If I unpack the linux kernel sources on Solaris and UFS using star (that by
default calls fsync() for each file) everything is stable on disk when star
finishes.

If you do the same on Linux/ext3 with gnu tar, gtar finishes 10-30% faster than
star  does on Solaris but on Linux almost nothing is on disk at that time.

If you like to compare, I recommend to use gtar or star -no-fsync to unpack the
linux kernel sources and to pull the mains plug after the tar extract seems to
be ready (the next prompt is displayed). Then reboot and compare what you have
on disk an whether the filesystem on disk is still usable.

Jörg