[CentOS] server fails to boot GRUB and flashing cursor

Theo Band theo.band at greenpeak.com
Tue Aug 14 13:43:59 UTC 2012

On 08/13/2012 11:17 PM, Dan Carl wrote:

>>> Its a hardware raid5 perc.
>>> I cannot mount the boot partition sda1.
>>> sda3 mounts fine this is where the OS is.
>>> What to do?
>> What kind of error do you get when you try to mount sda1?   Is it
>> something fsck will fix?   You need to load the kernel and initrd from
>> there.
>>
> #mount -t ext3 /dev/sda1 /mnt/myboot
> mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sda1,
>         missing codepage or other error
>         In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try
>         dmesg | tail  or so
>
> I have nothing in my boot directory. Will I have to reload the kernel
> and grub?
>
> ran fsck got
> Superblock has an invalid ext3 journal (inode 8).
> Clear<y>?
>
> Should I select Y?
> Thanks
> Dan

Try to fix, but it will probably not work. It's a bit strange as this
partition is on a raid, so it should be protected by a failing disk just
as the other partitions have survived.
I would boot from a CentosOS rescue CD. It will find your OS and mount
it. Then make a new ext3 fs on /dev/sda1 and mount it under /boot (that
is after the chroot /mnt/sysimage). Copy back the files from a backup if
you have that. If not, a re-install of the kernel (again after chroot)
will place the boot files under /boot/. Then issue a grub-install. It
will copy the needed grub images under /boot/grub and re-create a
grub.conf and a boot loader on /dev/sda etc.