[CentOS] vi defaults in 6.x

Joerg Schilling Joerg.Schilling at fokus.fraunhofer.de
Mon Aug 20 15:43:10 UTC 2012

<m.roth at 5-cent.us> wrote:

> > You currently may have the vi source from aprox. 1979 under a 4 clause BSD
> > license or the current Solaris vi under the CDDL. The latter was POSIX
> > compliant approved.
>
> And so you assert that if you don't have a version of vi that is strictly
> compatible with the 1979 source, and has no improvements or bugfixes, it's
> not vi?

Nobody forces you to use the 1979 version that is not 8 bit clean anyway.

Recent vi versions of course have improvements and bug-fixes.

BTW: I don't use vi as I am using my "ved" that is faster than vi.

People who use the vi however complained that vim is not fully vi compatible and
that they prefer to have a real vi under the name "vi". People who prefer vim
could still call vim.

Jörg