[CentOS] KVM Setup for Win7 Pro on CentOS 5.x

Bill Campbell centos at celestial.com
Tue Aug 21 13:52:37 UTC 2012

On Sat, Aug 18, 2012, Mihamina Rakotomandimby wrote:
>On 08/16/2012 12:34 AM, Bill Campbell wrote:
>> Can somebody point me to a HowTO or other documentation describing the
>> tools available under the CentOS 5 KVM package to create and manage a
>> Windows 7 Pro VM?  All my VM experience to date has been the old free
>> VMware Server.
>
>Just for information, there is a "centos-virt" ML.

Thanks for that hint.  I subscribed a couple of days ago, but so
far haven't seen any traffic.  A google search of the archives
did turn up some interesting posts.

I have things working now after cleaning up some of the cruft
left around after my original attempts to follow the docs.
<standard input>:17: warning [p 1, 1.7i]: can't break line

  1.  Create a bridge, 'br0' following the writeup on this page (and
      several others):

      https://access.redhat.com/knowledge/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/5/html-single/Virtualization/index.html#sect-Virtualization-Network_Configuration-Bridged_networking_with_libvirt

      This link also has some interesting hints.

      http://itscblog.tamu.edu/startup-guide-for-kvm-on-centos-6/

  2.  Delete the routed network definition I had made prior to creating the
      bridge.  Things didn't work properly with the old definition even
      though it was point to my private interface, 'eth1'.  I also deleted
      the 'default' NAT interface as we will never use that.

  3.  Check for other software that references the new bridge, changing the
      old 'eth1' interface to 'br0'.  Samba shares were not appearing until
      I updated 'interfaces' in the 'smb.conf' file.  This may have been
      caused when I turned sharing on in the Win7 VM which I didn't need.

Bill
Fax:            (206) 232-9186  Skype: jwccsllc (206) 855-5792

If there's anything a public servant hates to do it's something for the
public.  -- K. Hubbard