[CentOS] Deduplication data for CentOS?

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Mon Aug 27 16:04:20 UTC 2012

On Mon, Aug 27, 2012 at 6:55 AM, Rainer Traut <tr.ml at gmx.de> wrote:

> is there any working solution for deduplication of data for centos?
> We are trying to find a solution for our backup server which runs a bash
> script invoking xdelta(3). But having this functionality in fs is much
> more friendly...

Below forwarded on behalf of mroth:

Les,

   A favor, please?  Could you post this for me? Spamhouse is bouncing me
again, this time because *they* have a bug (see below). I tried asking
Karanbir, but I guess he's not online yet....

   Thanks in advance.

John R Pierce wrote:
> On 08/27/12 4:55 AM, Rainer Traut wrote:
>> is there any working solution for deduplication of data for centos? We
are trying to find a solution for our backup server which runs a bash
script invoking xdelta(3). But having this functionality in fs is much
more friendly...

> BackupPC does exactly this.    its not a generalized solution to
deduplication of a file system, instead, its a backup system, designed to
backup multiple targets, that implements deduplication on the backup tree
it maintains.

I've tried, twice, to suggest that a workaround that doesn't involve a
new, and possibly experimental f/s would be to use rsync with hard links,
which is what we do. There's no way we have enough disk space for 5 weeks
of terabytes of data....

However, the reason I haven't been able to suggest it is that I'm being
blocked by spamhost. And when I go there, it asserts I'm listed in the
CBL. And when I go *THERE*, it tells me I'm not.

Oh, and now, when I try to go to the CBL, it's down.

I don't suppose the CentOS list has a whitelist....

         mark