[CentOS] default gateway outside of the LAN

Thu Aug 16 22:13:43 UTC 2012
Boris Epstein <borepstein at gmail.com>

Hello all,

We have a somewhat unique setup whereby our default router is outside of
the local network.

Let us say our network is 192.168.10.0/255.255.255.0

So we have a route-eth0 file that looks something like this:

10.1.1.1 via 192.168.10.1 dev eth0
default 10.1.1.1 dev eth0

The last definition would simply not take - but it has to for the setup to
work. And no, 192.168.10.1 does not operate as a full-fledge router due to
our setup.

When we attempt to add it manually we get the following error:

RTNETLINK answers: No such process

When we use ifup we get the following:

Error: either "to" is a duplicate, or "10.1.1.1" is a garbage.

A little discussion of this can be found here:

http://www.centos.org/docs/5/html/5.1/Deployment_Guide/s1-networkscripts-static-routes.html

and here:

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-networking-3/etc-init-d-networking-restart-errors-637610/

It does not help us, however. Any tips much appreciated.

Cheers,

Boris.