[CentOS] Debugging/optimizing LAN/Fileserver Performance

Tue Aug 21 06:54:37 UTC 2012
Götz Reinicke <goetz.reinicke at filmakademie.de>

Hi,

I do have one fileserver, which is compared to other systems slow when
transferring file through the lan.

The test I did get a transfer speed of about 70 - 80 MB/s. I copy files
by rsync or scp from a SSD disk to the servers ISCSI Storage and I
tested to copy to a serverside RAM disk.

I copy one big file of about 2/10 GB; 2 is to the RAM disk.

The point is, the mentioned one server just get rates off 35+- MB :/ To
DAS HW Raid and RAM disk.

And I don't have any clue, why it is so slow ....

All servers and clients are connected to gbit full duplex cisco switche
ports, which are configured the same. The servers ar centos 6.3.
Filesystems ext4 with default settings.

I checked cables and logfiles but don't get any errors/warnings to.

The difference is: The concerned server has a 'small' CPU: Intel(R)
Xeon(R) CPU 3040 @ 1.86GHz Dual Core.

My question: What can affect the network speed? What parameters can I check?

	Thanks for any suggestion or hints! Best Regards . Götz
--
Götz Reinicke
IT-Koordinator

Tel. +49 7141 969 82 420
Fax  +49 7141 969 55 420
E-Mail goetz.reinicke at filmakademie.de

Filmakademie Baden-Württemberg GmbH
Akademiehof 10
71638 Ludwigsburg
www.filmakademie.de

Eintragung Amtsgericht Stuttgart HRB 205016

Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats:
Jürgen Walter MdL
Forschung und Kunst Baden-Württemberg

Geschäftsführer: