[CentOS] samba3x PDC and Win XP (and now Win 7 Client ... off topic)

Sat Aug 4 04:00:02 UTC 2012
Paul R. Ganci <ganci at nurdog.com>

On 08/02/2012 08:07 AM, Paul R. Ganci wrote:
> Any suggestions to registry/policy settings to get roaming profiles to
> act as roaming profiles on a Win 7 Professional SP 1 box? I thought I
> ask here first as I am already on this list. Admittedly this might
> better belong on a Samba forum but I am guessing somebody out there
> has already run into this issue. Everything on the web says this
> should work but alas...

Well after nearly a week of agony I finally have my Win 7 roaming
profiles acting like roaming profiles. It tuns out that while trying to
get %u (as opposed to %U) to work I also was playing with the Win 7
profiles. Apparently I managed to munge these registry keys:

NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList\SidXXX\CacheNextLogon
NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList\SidXXX\RefCount

For the roaming profile to synchronize properly the CacheNextLogon
REG_DWORD had to be set to 0x00000000 and the RefCount REG_DWORD to
0x00000001. After I fixed these to have the proper value my profiles
began to synchronize properly with my Samba PDC. I don't even remember
what web search found this little tidbit but I guess even a blind
squirrel finds a nut every so often.

--
Paul (ganci at nurdog.com)