[CentOS] find errors in a directory of files

Sat Aug 4 23:23:43 UTC 2012
Woodchuck <marmot at pennswoods.net>

On Sat, Aug 04, 2012 at 06:19:39PM -0400, Tim Dunphy wrote:
> hello list,
>
>  I'm trying to write a script that will search through a directory of trace
> logs for an oracle database. From what I understand new files are always
> being created in the directory and it's not possible to know the exact
> names of the files before they are created. The purpose of this is to
> create service checks in nagios. Because you don't know the names of the
> files ahead of time traditional plugins like check_logs or
> check_logfiles.plwon't work.
>
>  Here's what I was able to come up with:
>
> #!/bin/bash
>

> log1='/u01/app/oracle/admin/ecom/udump/*'
> crit1=($(grep 'ORA-00600' $log1))
> crit2=($(grep 'ORA-04031' $log1))
> crit3=($(grep 'ORA-07445' $log1))
>

> if [ $crit1 ] ; then
>    echo "$crit1 on ecom1"
>    status=2
>

> elif [ $crit2 ]; then
>     echo "$crit2 on ecom1"
>     status=2
>
> elif [ $crit3 ]; then
>     echo "$crit3 on ecom1"
>     status=2
> fi
>

> echo $status
> exit $status
>

> This is a very early version of the scripts, so as you can see I'm echoing
> a test message at the end letting you know the exit status.
>
> The problem with this script is that it is only able to detect one error in
> the logs. If you echo more than one test phrase into a log file or into
> multiple log files it still only picks up one error message.
>
> I was just wondering if anyone on the list might have a suggestion on how
> best to accomplish this task?
>
> Thanks
> Tim

I'm not sure I understand the problem well.  But, perhaps something like
this

#!/bin/sh

for log in /u01...../udump/*
do
	egrep -e 'ORA-00600|ORA-04031|ORA-07445' ${log}
done

this will find any line matching any of the ORA- keys.  You can
capture the return code if you wish.

Output of egrep could be passed to wc to echo instead a count of the
errors.  Filenames could be produced, too, with a bit more scripting,
which you can obviously handle.

Dave
--
   The principles of accounting are not arbitrary. They are natural law.
                        -- Mencius Moldbug