[CentOS] CentOS 6 : Tip for significantly increasing battery life / reducing power consumption (Thinkpad X220 Tablet)

Thu Aug 9 16:21:48 UTC 2012
Mathieu Baudier <mbaudier at argeo.org>

>> These could be bad options for a number of users and since it's set at kernel boot time how can you override it once the OS has booted?  Can you disable this without altering boot parameters and rebooting?  If the answer is yes than a tuned configuration should be created or altered to set them dynamically.  Setting of these at boot time are likely just wrong.  You likely only want these to be turned on when the laptop is not attached to power, which you can create hooks for.
>
> Definitely, these could be bad options for some users (or, more
> likely, irrelevant ones). I posted to the list, so that when somebody
> will search for 'centos 6 thinkpad power consumption too high' he will
> bump into the Ubuntu related post I linked to (which provides
> additional links to the root cause) but also that this person will see
> that it worked pretty well in my particular case.

Just a quick note to say that I'm indeed experiencing stability issues.
The X server sometimes freezes and I have to reboot.
Also Firefox crashes more often than not.

I'm slowly trying to find out if this is due to these kernel arguments
or to the combination with Compiz and docking etc. I'll post it here,
if I gather more information.

As James pointed out, caution is required before applying these kernel
arguments.