[CentOS] Strange device labeling in 6.3

Thu Aug 9 22:48:28 UTC 2012
Kahlil Hodgson <kahlil.hodgson at dealmax.com.au>

On 10/08/12 04:31, Scott Robbins wrote:
> I tend to agree with the slashdot commentator who called it overcomplicated and unnecessary.   It's another idea from
> Fedora, the theory, IIRC, was that this way, devices would always have the same name, whereas under the
> method that has been used device names could change on a reboot.  (Haven't experienced that myself, but
> dunno).

this has happened to me a couple of times
worst case:

eth0 = unused realtek onboard
eth1 = intel nic used for lan1
eth2 = intel nic used for lan2
eth3 = intel nic used for wan

realtek onboard nic dies during a server reboot

eth1 -> eth0 = unused
eth2 -> eth1 = lan1
eth3 -> eth2 = lan2

firewall rules now apply lan2 rules to the wan

with MAC address pinning, none of the interfaces come up because the
addresses do not match the names.

very lucky that was not off-site

Kahlil (Kal) Hodgson                       GPG: C9A02289
Head of Technology                         (m) +61 (0) 4 2573 0382
DealMax Pty Ltd                            (w) +61 (0) 3 9008 5281

Suite 1415
401 Docklands Drive
Docklands VIC 3008 Australia

"All parts should go together without forcing.  You must remember that
the parts you are reassembling were disassembled by you.  Therefore,
if you can't get them together again, there must be a reason.  By all
means, do not use a hammer."  -- IBM maintenance manual, 1925