[CentOS] slowness with new kernel+nouveau?

Thu Aug 16 13:45:52 UTC 2012

Johnny Hughes wrote:
> On 08/16/2012 02:43 AM, Darod Zyree wrote:

>>> Have you tried installing the Nvidia drivers from the CentOS repo?
>>>
>> Thanks, this worked for me.
>> Uninstalled nouveau and installed kmod-nvidia.
>
> Those drivers are from elrepo, not CentOS  :-D
>
> But I use them all the time and highly recommend them.
>
> http://elrepo.org/tiki/kmod-nvidia

I concur. The only thing I get from elrepo is kmod-nvidia; on install, it
creates a blacklist for nouveau, so it won't be automatically loaded. It
also rebuilds by itself when you update the kernel, instead of having to
manually rebuild the drivers from the proprietary installer.

I hear rumors that kmod-nvidia will be coming in RHEL soon, and so here to
CentOS.

       mark