[CentOS] LVM overhead? Does it cripple I/O?

Sun Aug 19 22:22:53 UTC 2012
Nux! <nux at li.nux.ro>

On 19.08.2012 23:16, Smithies, Russell wrote:
> For a high-performance system (64-cores, 512GB RAM, 5TB local disk,
> 110TB NFS-mounted storage) is there any advantage of dropping lvm and
> mounting partitions directly?
> We're not planning on changing partition sizes, but if we did we'd
> probably do a full rebuild.
> Has anyone done performance testing to show that lvm isn't crippling
> I/O?
>
> Thanx,
>
> Russell

I'm a long time user of LVM and I never noticed any problems with it,
let alone "crippling IO".
In some benchmarks[1] it even speeds up things and I believe the
Anaconda automatic partitioning defaults to LVM, too.

[1] -
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=fedora_15_lvm&num=3

Nux!
www.nux.ro