[CentOS] System will not boot - faulty fstab?

Thu Aug 23 23:06:58 UTC 2012
James B. Byrne <byrnejb at harte-lyne.ca>

On Thu, August 23, 2012 18:17, James B. Byrne wrote:
> I believe that I made a boo boo recently when recovering some unused
> disk space.  Without going into painfully embarrassing detail I need
> to delete an entry in fstab for a now non-existent logical volume.
>
> The system reports that the there is a bad superblock for said logical
> volume.  Mainly I expect because there isn't one anymore. How do I
> edit fstab so as to remove the mount request?  For some reason the
> system will not boot from the cdrom and the I for interactive option
> is just blown by when the HDD boot starts.

I discovered the problem with the cd-rom.  It is just that, a cd-rom,
and I was trying to boot from a dvd rescue disk. I have corrected that
problem, edited fstab, and rebooted the system, apparently with
success, so far.

Canada  L8E 3C3