[CentOS] Deduplication data for CentOS?

Mon Aug 27 15:26:37 UTC 2012
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

On Mon, Aug 27, 2012 at 9:23 AM, John R Pierce <pierce at hogranch.com> wrote:
> On 08/27/12 4:55 AM, Rainer Traut wrote:
>> is there any working solution for deduplication of data for centos?
>> We are trying to find a solution for our backup server which runs a bash
>> script invoking xdelta(3). But having this functionality in fs is much
>> more friendly...
>
> BackupPC does exactly this.    its not a generalized solution to
> deduplication of a file system, instead, its a backup system, designed
> to backup multiple targets, that implements deduplication on the backup
> tree it maintains.

Not _exactly_, but maybe close enough and it is very easy to install
and try.   Backuppc will use rsync for transfers and thus only uses
bandwidth for the differences, but it uses hardlinks to files to dedup
the storage.  It will find and link duplicate content even from
different sources, but the complete file must be identical.  It does
not store deltas, so large files that change even slightly between
backups end up stored as complete copies (with optional compression).

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com