[CentOS] netinstall

Mon Aug 27 22:45:16 UTC 2012
Michael Hennebry <hennebry at web.cs.ndsu.nodak.edu>

I'm a newcomer to CentOS.
Fedora 14 was the last Fedora version I managed to make work.
Fedora 16 I couldn't install at all.
Fedora 17 installed, but I couldn't make it work right.
I'd been trying to do media-less installs because
Fedora wouldn't read my DVDs anymore.

What directions I could find for installing CentOS
without media were not all that clear to me,
so I did some guesswork informed by some of the Fedora documents.

I used the following grub stanza:
title Install Centos 6.2 from net install iso
     find /centos/vmlinuz
     root (hd1,9)
     pause paused
     kernel /centos/vmlinuz  method=http://mirror.anl.gov/pub/centos/6/2/os/i386
     initrd /centos/initrd.img

The find and pause were not really necessary.
I think vmlinuz and initrd.img were copied from a net_install.iso file.
Much to my surprise, it worked the first time.

whom I teach not to run with scissors,
that my fiance ran me through with a broadsword."  --  Lily