[CentOS] Deduplication data for CentOS?

Wed Aug 29 09:43:40 UTC 2012
Rainer Traut <tr.ml at gmx.de>

Am 28.08.2012 21:26, schrieb Les Mikesell:
> On Tue, Aug 28, 2012 at 2:04 PM, John R Pierce <pierce at hogranch.com> wrote:

>>> Rdiff-backup might work for this since it stores deltas.   Are you
>>> doing something to snapshot the filesystem during the copy or are
>>> these just growing logs where consistency doesn't matter?
>>
>> NSF files are a proprietary database format used by Lotus Notes and
>> Domino, very complex, there's a pile of versions, and they are totally
>> opaque.  Pretty sure that if they are being accessed or updated while
>> being copied the copy is invalid, so yes, some form of snapshotting is
>> required.
>>
>> commercial backup software uses Domino/Notes APIs to do incremental
>> backups, for example
>> http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH46513
>
> If there is a command-line way to generate an incremental backup file,
> backuppc could run it via ssh as a pre-backup command.

Yes, there is commercial software to do incremental backups but I do not
know of commandline options to do this. Maybe anyone?

Les is right, I stop the server, take the snapshot, start the server and
do the xdelta on the snapshot NSF files.
Having that minimal downtime is ok and acknowledged by the customer.