[CentOS] Cut command behaviour - bug or feature

Wed Aug 29 15:43:20 UTC 2012
Rajagopal Swaminathan <raju.rajsand at gmail.com>

On Wed, Aug 29, 2012 at 2:15 AM, Markus Falb <markus.falb at fasel.at> wrote:
> On 28.8.2012 21:59, Rajagopal Swaminathan wrote:
>
> cut cuts out, that what it does.
> I think it works exactly as advertised.
> On my system the manpage says
>
> ...snip
> Selected input is written in the same order that it is
>        read, and is written exactly once
> snap...

See below

>> Is it specific to linux?
>
> No!

I would think, yes.

From: http://www.unix.com/unix-dummies-questions-answers/117504-question-cut-command.html

[quote]
 08-22-2009
Scott's Avatar
Scott Scott is offline Forum Staff
Administrator

Location: Switzerland - ZH
Thanks: 136
Thanked 596 Times in 515 Posts

In AIX (for example) if you said

Code:
echo 1,2,3,4,5 | cut -d, -f3,1,5

you would get output as 3,1,5

But the cut command in Linux behaves differently.

>From the man page:
Quote:
Selected input is written in the same order that it is read, and is
written exactly once.

Which I think is poor. I can't see any way to do what you want with cut.

[unquote]

Thanks for everybody who pitched in

Any the issue got transformed into something else altogether.... (PHB,
vlookup 'experts' and the such for time being)

--

Regards,

Rajagopal