[CentOS] KVM as a desktop

Wed Aug 29 19:43:12 UTC 2012
James B. Byrne <byrnejb at harte-lyne.ca>

On Wed, August 29, 2012 10:38, Theo Band wrote:

> I'm not sure what your benefit is to not use your host but a VM
> running
> on it.
> You could consider to use XDMP. You still need a (local) X server
> (gdm), but then choose remote logon usign XDMCP.
> On the virtual machine use gdmsetup to allow remote access or use this
> link:
>
> http://www.centos.org/docs/5/html/5.1/Installation_Guide/s2-trouble-remotex.html

Presently I build kvm hosts with a minimal install and add whatever
packages are required to get kvm working and provide my customary
administrative tools.  The kvm guests get the user applications.  I
simply want to have a similar arrangement on my personal workstation
so that my experiments do not become invisibly dependent upon
something I have installed for my own use.

Basically, I want to simply leave the host configuration alone once
kvm is running and do my mucking about in a virtual machine.

Canada  L8E 3C3