[CentOS] NTOP alternatives?

Fri Aug 31 11:39:00 UTC 2012
Indunil Jayasooriya <indunil75 at gmail.com>

> > I would like to know on which host should I install it on LAN?
> >

> My plan for today is to install darkstar on a separate physical host with
> dual nic's, and tell the switch to copy all traffic on the VLAN's that I
> wish to monitor to one port which will then be connected to one of the
> NIC's on the darkstar host. This feature is called "port mirroring" on
> ProCurve switches but most professional switches have similar features,
> although they might be called differently.

I think This is an URL for it. Where it shows with a picture.

http://community.spiceworks.com/how_to/show/1261

The same thing for bandwidthd software.

*
Pls assume*, My Network Monitoring Server has *2 Ethernets and also I have
port mirroring capable switch.

*
if one Ethernet of Netwrok monitoring Sever connects to usual port in the
switch, Other LAN PCs also connects to the usual ports of the same switch .
Then, remaining Ethernet of the Monitoring Server should connect to a
mirrored port.

*Then, to which port , Should I connect my router ???

*
to a usual port or mirrored port of that same switch?

if Router should be connected to a mirrored port , We need 2 mirrored port
of the same switch..

Pls let me know since I would like to learn..

> > gateway Machine, proxy Server or any host on that LAN?
> >

> Alternatively, if you have a gateway machine that all traffic passes
> through, this would also be a good candidate unless traffic is so high that
> the additional load from darkstat impacts performance - or any bug in
> darkstat that just might interrupt regular operations.

IF my Gateway is running squid But NOT in transparent mode, just a usual
way with configurations of users' browsers,

Can I install darkstar or bandwidthd on that gateway box?

I really like to hear from you?

--
Thank you
Indunil Jayasooriya