[CentOS] How to configure sendmail

Harold Pritchett harold at uga.edu
Sun Dec 2 23:52:33 UTC 2012

On 12/2/2012 6:08 PM, John R Pierce wrote:
> On 12/2/2012 2:46 PM, Tilman Schmidt wrote:
>> Not a good advice for someone who already has some experience
>> with Sendmail but none with Postfix. He'll have to read docs
>> either way, but staying with Sendmail spares him the effort
>> of reinstallation (including probable breakage of his running
>> installation), and reading the docs of a familiar product
>> (Sendmail) is much easier than reading the docs of an
>> unfamiliar one (Postfix).
> except he doesn't have a working configuration with sendmail and is
> apparently a novice, so the postfix recommendation is, IMHO, a good one.

Why?  Once upon a time, many years ago, I tried postfix.  I ended up removing it and installing sendmail.  I've been using sendmail since the early 1980's, when we were running the Eric Allman code from UCB on a VAX 780 under BCD Unix.  And, yes, I recognize this as a religious topic and I'm not trying to start a flame war.  Why, in your opinion, is postfix superior to sendmail.

Harold
(who's first linux system was slackware 1.0)