[CentOS] Samba server choices

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Wed Dec 5 17:09:02 UTC 2012

On Wed, Dec 5, 2012 at 9:47 AM, Robert Moskowitz <rgm at htt-consult.com> wrote:

> So far I have two options:
>
> Pull off the config files from my Amahi server:  Bind, DHCP, Samba, and
> probably MySQL.  I had customized things enough (and few of my 'bug'
> fixes made it back into the base) that I know what to pull out to make a
> viable server.
>
> Go with SME Server 8.0 which was released back in May and is based on
> Centos 5.8.
>

> So my question to all of you is, what other options are out there? A
> Win7 future kind of makes SME more attractive than rolling my own.  I
> would NOT be using SME for my mail server.  That will be in a separate post.

Look at ClearOS.  I haven't used it beyond installing in a test VM,
but it looks like it would be a suitable SME replacement with a more
up to date code base.   And it should be usable as an email server too
whether on the same host or not.  Or if you understand the configs
well enough, just roll your own from a CentOS 6.x.

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com