[CentOS] Samba server choices

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Wed Dec 5 18:23:25 UTC 2012

On 12/05/2012 01:04 PM, Les Mikesell wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 5, 2012 at 11:41 AM, John R Pierce <pierce at hogranch.com> wrote:
>>> So my question to all of you is, what other options are out there? A
>>> Win7 future kind of makes SME more attractive than rolling my own.
>> I don't understand that justification?   Samba is Samba, the configs are
>> pretty straight forward.
> SME is a little more than a config writer - it combines some concepts
> across applications into a simple web interface.   Define a group in
> the web interface and you get both an email list and a unix/samba
> permissions group.  Enable an application and you get the port(s) open
> in iptables.  Specify an IP address, name, and MAC address and you get
> both DHCP and DNS configs.  Create a file share (i-bay) and you get
> web, ftp, and samba access with optional permissioning by groups.  And
> so on.  With bare linux you not only have to understand the
> configuration of many different applications, but the relationships
> among the applications.   ClearOS takes the same task-centric, not
> application-oriented approach.

What he said :)

I really could not use SME's email in the past, as it would not allow an
email address to occur in multiple domains. Or rather the hoops you had
to jump through were extreme. This addr I am using here is in a number
of my domains that I run. I like it that way.

Even if I use the same base, I will run my Share server and Email server
on separate systems.