[CentOS] yumex ?? Where art thou?

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Wed Dec 5 23:06:31 UTC 2012

On 12/05/2012 02:34 PM, Les Mikesell wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 5, 2012 at 12:17 PM, Robert Moskowitz <rgm at htt-consult.com> wrote:
>>> It's been ages since I've used CentOS with a GUI (my desktop at the time).
>>> There's a Add/Remove Software application in the menu somewhere.
>> I also don't 'run' CentOS with a GUI, but jumping into Centos 6.3 from
>> 5.3, I felt there would be enough that I would have to do to warrant
>> starting out with the GUI on a test installation. In my production
>> systems (the 5.3 ones still running), I would install Gnome, but set
>> inittab to level 3 and use VNC when I needed more than just an SSH
>> connection.
> I recommend installing freenx and using the NX client (available for
> linux/windows/mac) when you want remote GUI access.

I played around with freenx and have just settled on vnc for as little
as I need it. I have a few things secured down, and for external access,
I run it over SSH. Perhaps another time to open this back up. I have
Samba and mail to get working new. Plus I will be upgrading my domain
server so I can finally implement DNSSEC.