[CentOS] courier mail for Centos

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Thu Dec 6 16:08:07 UTC 2012

On 12/06/2012 10:13 AM, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
> John R. Dennison wrote:
>> On Thu, Dec 06, 2012 at 08:42:05AM -0500, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
>>> Are there existing rpms for courier mta?
>> Not by any reputable repo, no.  Use dovecot which is supplied by CentOS.
>>
>>> http://www.howtoforge.com/virtual-users-and-domains-with-postfix-courier-mysql-and-squirrelmail-fedora-14-x86_64
>> People _really_ must stop following garbage like howtoforge.  This site
>> inevitably advises to disable selinux and more often than not to do the
>> same with your firewall.  Both actions are foolhardy, at best, and
>> downright reckless otherwise.
> <snip>
> Disabling selinux, or at least setting it to permissive, I agree with.
> Turning down your firewall?! Anyone suggesting that is, IMO, either a)
> clueless, or b) a malware user/vendor trying to make life easier. Can
> anyone think of any other possibilities?

I always have ignored turning off the firewall; it is not hard in Gnome
to alter basic firewall behaviour and allow for ports like 576 (or
whatever that SMTP port is; not looking it up right now).

In the past, turning selinux to permissive was my first step in setup,
followed by moving SSH's port. Now I leave it as is and learn how to use
semanage.