[CentOS] Questions on making a kickstart cfg

Robert Moskowitz

rgm at htt-consult.com
Fri Dec 7 19:28:46 UTC 2012

So I took the anaconda cfg, commented out the partition/disk pieces and
ran it off my repo server and it almost worked.

Little things like not including things I had done on network setup.  No
first boot....  :)

So now I am reading up on building a kickstart cfg

http://wiki.centos.org/TipsAndTricks/KickStart
http://www.centos.org/docs/5/html/5.2/Installation_Guide/s1-kickstart2-howuse.html

So for starters I figured out that the lines prior to the %packages are
commands.  So I added there:

firstboot --enable

Oh, but this won't work if firstboot is not installed.  I am tempted to
assume it will be, as it was from all the packages that got installed in
the installation that created this anaconda-ks.cfg. Sounds reasonable?

To NOT use firstboot, what do I have to add to the kickstart beyond

user --name=something  --password=somethingstrong

Of course if I don't have the encrypt stuff, this is a first use
password that I would change on first login.

But what about time setup?  And what else is there in firstboot?

Then I want some network setup, so I changed to network line from:

network --onboot yes --device eth0 --bootproto dhcp --noipv6

network --onboot yes --device eth0 --bootproto=query

I note that anaconda had "--bootproto dhcp" while the howto shows an = ,
I assume both forms are valid?

Oh, is there a 'bug' in the network section of the howto?

===================================

The line for static networking is more complex, as you must include all
network configuration information on one line. You must specify the IP
address, netmask, gateway, and nameserver. For example: (the "\"
indicates that this should be read as one continuous line):

network --bootproto=static --ip=10.0.2.15 --netmask=255.255.255.0 \
--gateway=10.0.2.254 --nameserver=10.0.2.1

If you use the static method, be aware of the following two restrictions:

     All static networking configuration information must be specified
on one line; you cannot wrap lines using a backslash, for example.

Wait a sec, their example uses the \ and then it says you can't use the
\?  Which is it?