[CentOS] yum --security not detecting security updates

m.roth at 5-cent.us m.roth at 5-cent.us
Tue Dec 18 16:55:32 UTC 2012

Terry wrote:
> Hello,
>
> We are running CentOS 5.5 on a server that is not reporting any
> security updates:
<snip>
> However, Nexpose, our vulnerability scanner detected otherwise. Upon
> digging deeper, I noticed that we are on a kernel version that has a
> known issue fixed in a later version:
>
> [root at server01 ~]# rpm -q kernel
> kernel-2.6.18-194.el5
> kernel-2.6.18-194.8.1.el5
<snip>
As someone else just pointed out, current release is 5.8. For that matter,
and I'm just pulling this vaguely out of my memory, .el5 with no
sub-numbers suggests to me that this has *never* been updated since the
install/update to the initial 5.5. This is *NOT* a good idea. There have
been many security fixes since then.

    mark