[CentOS] web mail and Squirrelmail

Nikolaos Milas nmilas at noa.gr
Wed Dec 19 08:21:04 UTC 2012

On 19/12/2012 9:43 πμ, M. Fioretti wrote:

> what about Sogo: Is it slower/more complicated to install... any comment is appreciated!

I have not used SoGo yet, but I have read good things about it from many
admins. It is probably the only one free/open-source solution which
works well with Outlook sync and with Thunderbird/Lightning sync. I plan
to try it out soon.

Read this thread too:
http://www.mail-archive.com/dovecot@dovecot.org/msg49002.html

I have used Horde (in test mode, not in production) and it is good, but
we had various issues, esp. when working with mobile devices. A bit
complex in configuring / maintaining.

We have also tested briefly FengOffice, which is slightly different: a
groupware application, but it offers a web-based mail client with the
ability to define multiple accounts.

Other free groupware projects incorporating mail functionality: kolab,
egroupware etc.

We are currently still using SquirrelMail. I hate the GUI
(aesthetically), but it works well and there are plugins for about
everything one would ask. If only someone could create a nice
contemporary GUI (HTML 5) for it!

If someone wants Outlook / Thunderbird sync functionality, I would
suggest starting from SoGo (even though I have not tested it yet).

There are other open-source systems too which are not free: Zarafa,
Zimbra, Open-Xchange etc.

Nick