[CentOS] web mail and Squirrelmail

SilverTip257 silvertip257 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 19 13:50:35 UTC 2012

On Wed, Dec 19, 2012 at 3:21 AM, Nikolaos Milas <nmilas at noa.gr> wrote:

> On 19/12/2012 9:43 πμ, M. Fioretti wrote:
>
> I have used Horde (in test mode, not in production) and it is good, but
> we had various issues, esp. when working with mobile devices. A bit
> complex in configuring / maintaining.

Our webmail system at work runs the Horde framework/suite.  I primarily use
mail and don't fuss with the calendar and other features.  But then again I
have my email client set up to do everything else and pull my mail via IMAP.

> We are currently still using SquirrelMail. I hate the GUI
> (aesthetically), but it works well and there are plugins for about
> everything one would ask. If only someone could create a nice
> contemporary GUI (HTML 5) for it!

I agree -- a face lift for Squirrel Mail would be nice and welcomed by many!
Though it would probably be best to add some Ajax calls so the end user
doesn't continually see the refresh on post back.

> There are other open-source systems too which are not free: Zarafa,
> Zimbra, Open-Xchange etc.

Comcast's customer mail system runs on Zimbra.  I've used it some when
helping out family members and I'm not overly impressed by it.  I just
think the Zimbra webmail GUI is a bit clunky and slow ... but then again
that could be related to other factors I didn't investigate.

slightly Off Topic:
I'm shocked that Comcast still only offers POP3 access and (so far) does
not offer IMAP. I suppose it's not something they care to do or build out
all the storage required to store more mail.  Setting a POP3 client to
leave mail on the server works, but IMAP is better.  ;)