[CentOS] yum install make does not work

Giorgio Bersano giorgio.bersano at gmail.com
Thu Dec 20 10:32:05 UTC 2012

2012/12/19 Theo Band <theo.band at greenpeak.com>:
> On 12/19/2012 08:34 PM, Frank Cox wrote:
>> On Wed, 19 Dec 2012 20:26:58 +0100 Nicolas Thierry-Mieg wrote:
>>> Theo: I suggest disabling all repos except os+updates and trying again.
>> He could go to that mirror with a web browser and see if the package
>> actually exists there.
>
> I have two installations. One that works, and one that does not, so I
> can compare. I want to point to a known good mirror, but haven't figured
> out how to do that. I can probably just download the make rpm and
> install it with rpm. But that feels like cheating :-). And only one
> package seems to not exist. How does yum "remember" that? Is it perhaps
> a rpm database thing?

Just as a side note: when installing downloaded files (e.g.
make-3.81-20.el6.x86_64.rpm) better using yum then rpm, as in
 # yum install make-3.81-20.el6.x86_64.rpm
otherwise after that install you will always get warnings about RPMDB
altered outside of yum.

Regarding your specific problem, as already suggested I'd start with
 # yum clean all