[CentOS] Filesystem Hierarchy Standard respecting CentOS

James B. Byrne

byrnejb at harte-lyne.ca
Thu Dec 27 21:14:18 UTC 2012

I am investigating using rpm to package one of our in house
applications.  This software started life as a sub-system within a
Ruby-on-Rails application but has now been extracted into its own
standalone package, none of which has any httpd access.

The local package under consideration will run as a set of cron jobs
under a designated userid.  There will be no user interaction.  A
remote database server will be updated but no data files will remain
on the installation host once they are processed.

I have read the subject document a couple of times and I am wondering
what people here with experience in these matters actually do.  The
FHS suggests to me that projects of the sort I am dealing with belong
entirely within the /opt/package_name/ tree with variable data stowed
in /var/opt/package_name or possibly /var/spool/package_name.

However, I have not yet found any application packages for CentOS-6
that actually do this.  I find some that go into /usr/package_name,
some into /usr/lib/package_name, many that install into /usr/libexec
and none that install into /usr/local, which I gather is reserved for
packaged built on the system rather than installed via rpm.

So, what is the actual practice with respect to packaging via rpm?
Where do things go?

Canada  L8E 3C3