[CentOS] Hi

Adam Tauno Williams awilliam at whitemice.org
Mon Dec 31 16:16:34 UTC 2012

On Mon, 2012-12-31 at 11:08 -0500, Carl T. Miller wrote:
> On 12/31/2012 10:14 AM, Derek Stewart wrote:
> > Just joinedthe mailing list
> > I am new to Centos, anybody got any tips.
> My suggestion would be to install centos and start configuring it to
> do everything you want it to do.  It might take some time, so you
> might want to install it on another computer or on a virtual machine.

Agree, just dive in.

+1 on the advice to create a virtual machine an learn there.  After your
initial install create a snapshot, then you can easily revert to a
bare-bones clean install and practice doing things over and over.  You
can also revert between snapshots to work on different things.  This
really helps learning and testing.  My rule:  if I haven't created a
snapshot yet... I am probably tardy in doing so.

> If you're running a 64 bit version of Linux on a computer with virtual-
> ization support enabled, consider using KVM for a virtual environment.
> Otherwise consider installing VirtualBox.  Either one will let you
> create a VM for experimentation while you keep your main workstation
> fully functional.

I'm still a fan of good old $$$ VMware Workstation.  But VirtualBox
works.  And GNOME3 now provides Boxes as well, a nice VM management
front-end.

--
Adam Tauno Williams  GPG D95ED383