[CentOS] How to configure sendmail

Mon Dec 3 02:22:51 UTC 2012
Phil Dobbin <bukowskiscat at gmail.com>

On 12/03/2012 01:54 AM, John R Pierce wrote:

> On 12/2/2012 5:47 PM, Les Mikesell wrote:
>> If you don't like things that use traditional unix tools for the
>> purposes they were designed, why are you interested in using linux at
>> all?  From a user perspective making a few changes to sendmail.mc and
>> restarting the sendmail service is quite easy.
>
> I once knew my way around the 'rules' in the .cf file.     thats truly
> some evil arcane magic in there.

Whilst bowing in due deference to people who've been using *nix/Linux
since it required a piece of string, two tin cans & coven in order to
achieve results, I was under the impression that nowadays, unless you
actually need some functionality that sendmail has & nothing else
possesses, the received wisdom for novices when setting up all things
mail was using postfix in its place.

All documentation I've ever read regarding postfix starts with
declaration that postfix is a replacement for sendmail, it's widely
recommended as a replacement & having used postfix after attempting to
use sendmail, I can see why (I too have Eric Allman's big book & also
have read anecdotes written by Brian Kernighan on its origins & very
interesting & enlightening they are too). But surely, the effort
required to be competent enough to use it properly far outweighs the
benefits just for the casual user.

Cheers,

  Phil...

--
currently (ab)using
CentOS 5.8 & 6.3, Debian Squeeze & Wheezy, Fedora Beefy & Spherical, OS