[CentOS] How to configure sendmail

Mon Dec 3 02:51:58 UTC 2012
Ron Loftin <reloftin at twcny.rr.com>

On Mon, 2012-12-03 at 02:22 +0000, Phil Dobbin wrote:
> On 12/03/2012 01:54 AM, John R Pierce wrote:
>
> > On 12/2/2012 5:47 PM, Les Mikesell wrote:
> >> If you don't like things that use traditional unix tools for the
> >> purposes they were designed, why are you interested in using linux at
> >> all?  From a user perspective making a few changes to sendmail.mc and
> >> restarting the sendmail service is quite easy.
> >
> > I once knew my way around the 'rules' in the .cf file.     thats truly
> > some evil arcane magic in there.
>
> Whilst bowing in due deference to people who've been using *nix/Linux
> since it required a piece of string, two tin cans & coven in order to
> achieve results, I was under the impression that nowadays, unless you
> actually need some functionality that sendmail has & nothing else
> possesses, the received wisdom for novices when setting up all things
> mail was using postfix in its place.
>
> All documentation I've ever read regarding postfix starts with
> declaration that postfix is a replacement for sendmail, it's widely
> recommended as a replacement & having used postfix after attempting to
> use sendmail, I can see why (I too have Eric Allman's big book & also
> have read anecdotes written by Brian Kernighan on its origins & very
> interesting & enlightening they are too). But surely, the effort
> required to be competent enough to use it properly far outweighs the
> benefits just for the casual user.

+1 - and really a lot more.

Having lived in the Unix/Linux environment for > 20 years I will
definitely state that for someone new to the mail server environment the
learning curve for Postfix is a lot less than it is for Sendmail.  When
I needed to set up a mail filter/server I was pointed to Postfix by
another Unix guy and that was probably the best thing that happened to
me for that area.  I had what I needed in less than a day, and
refinements and tuning done a couple of days later.

If you're just starting in the mail server area, it's tough to beat
Postfix for ease of configuration.