[CentOS] courier mail for Centos

Thu Dec 6 16:05:03 UTC 2012

On 12/06/2012 09:15 AM, John R. Dennison wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 06, 2012 at 08:42:05AM -0500, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
>> Are there existing rpms for courier mta?
> Not by any reputable repo, no.  Use dovecot which is supplied by CentOS.
>
>> http://www.howtoforge.com/virtual-users-and-domains-with-postfix-courier-mysql-and-squirrelmail-fedora-14-x86_64
> People _really_ must stop following garbage like howtoforge.  This site
> inevitably advises to disable selinux and more often than not to do the
> same with your firewall.  Both actions are foolhardy, at best, and
> downright reckless otherwise.
>
> Sigh, I just made the mistake of browsing through that article and I
> fear I have given myself brain cancer as a result.  Using Fedora's F14
> postfix which is no longer supported in any way by Fedora; patching it
> making it even more difficult to maintain on your own; the inevitable
> "You should make sure that the firewall is off (at least for now) and
> that SELinux is disabled (this is important!)." recommendation, etc.
>
> Bleah.
>
> Really, just forget that site exists.

I did this back using the F12 version of this howto, and then it was NOT
on howtoforge.  I still have it running on F12 and REALLY want to move
off that.

Almost everything in this tutorial is now available without doing things
like disabling SELinux (btw, I move the SSH port and use semanage to
accomidate that).

It is good when someone does something good and then it comes easy.

When I get this working, I will put together instructions to be
published somewhere.  The only part which I probably CAN'T do myself is
the mysql frontend; I will be using phpMyAdmin for starters.