[CentOS] any Log archive tools suggestions?

Sat Dec 8 19:10:00 UTC 2012
SilverTip257 <silvertip257 at gmail.com>

On Sat, Dec 8, 2012 at 6:37 AM, Leon Fauster <leonfauster at googlemail.com>wrote:

> Am 07.12.2012 um 18:09 schrieb Gelen James:
> >  Has any one used any log archiving tools? Please suggest one that's
> your favorite.
> >
> > Presently I have a project to archive raw log files on hundreds of
> Centos boxes to a central server and stored there for two years. The basic
> requirements of the project are:
> >
> >  1, The log files will be sent from hundreds of Centos clients with a
> client side agent or similar.
> >  2, better there is a client side configuration file which specify log
> files to archive
> >  3, a server side configuration file specified where to logs from host (
> or host groups), and the directory structure to store log files
> >  4, better there is a way to remove duplication of log files, i.e. md5
> checksum, time stamp, etc.
> >
> > Open source or commercial are both fine. And there is no need to do the
> indexing or other further processing, just raw files is fine.
>

> what about syslog's capability to send all logs to a
> central syslog server (check /etc/sysconfig/syslog for the server
> part and /etc/syslog.conf for the client part)?

+1 for a centralized syslog server ... it's the ideal tool for the job

rsyslog is part of the CentOS Base for EL6
syslog-ng is packaged in EPEL (if it's preferred over sysklogd or rsyslog)