[CentOS] fixing partition alignment ?

Wed Dec 12 22:23:42 UTC 2012
Robert Nichols <rnicholsNOSPAM at comcast.net>

On 12/12/2012 09:36 AM, Laurent Wandrebeck wrote:
> I've discovered that most of the hard drives used in our cluster got
> misaligned partitions, thus crippling perfs. Is there any way to fix
> that without having to delete/recreate properly aligned partitions, then
> format it and refill disks ?
> I'd be glad not to have to toy with moving several 10s of TB disk by
> disk :D (most disks are JBOD as we're using a fault tolerant network
> FS, moosefs not to name it).

The data is going to have to be moved.  There's just no way around it, and
shifting it a few sectors one way or the other is going to be no faster,
and a lot more dangerous, than copying it to a new partition.  Copying to
a different drive should be somewhat faster than copying to the same
drive since neither drive needs to share its controller with both the
read and write streams.

                 Do NOT delete it.