[CentOS] Cannot build custom locale with utf-8 charset

Mon Dec 17 16:03:17 UTC 2012
James B. Byrne <byrnejb at harte-lyne.ca>

Whether the following information is complete or entirely correct or
contains redundancies I will leave for others to comment upon.  In the
end, to completely install a working UTF-8 locale from a customized
source file in /usr/share/i18n/locales on both CentOS-5 and CentOS-6 I
had to do this:

localedef --replace -c -f UTF-8 -i
/usr/share/i18n/locales/en_CA at yyyy-mmm-dd en_CA at yyyy-mmm-dd.utf8
localedef --no-archive -c -f UTF-8 -i
/usr/share/i18n/locales/en_CA at yyyy-mmm-dd en_CA at yyyy-mmm-dd.utf-8
localedef --no-archive -c -f UTF-8 -i
/usr/share/i18n/locales/en_CA at yyyy-mmm-dd en_CA at yyyy-mmm-dd.UTF8
localedef --no-archive -c -f UTF-8 -i
/usr/share/i18n/locales/en_CA at yyyy-mmm-dd en_CA at yyyy-mmm-dd.UTF-8
localedef --no-archive -c -f UTF-8 -i
/usr/share/i18n/locales/en_CA at yyyy-mmm-dd en_CA at yyyy-mmm-dd

Evidently, the archived version is expected to have the extension
.utf8 but all the other aliased extensions are customarily expected as
well.  I was unable to find where on the system said locale aliases
are kept however.  The most likely candidate that I found was
/usr/share/X11/locale/locale.alias but I could find no entries therein
pertaining to my customized locales.

I would like to know the exact location where locale aliases are
stored on CentOS systems if someone in the know would share that
information.

Canada  L8E 3C3