[CentOS] - problem with reboot or shutdown

Mon Dec 17 19:41:48 UTC 2012
Paolo De Michele <paolo at paolodemichele.it>

On 12/17/2012 08:13 PM, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
> Hi, Paolo,
>
> Paolo De Michele wrote:
>>>>
>>> How long did it take before - were you using 6.2, or is this a new
>>> install on a new machine?
>> It is a new installation
> Ok. Have you worked with machines like this model before? Does it have a
> *lot* of memory (that is, hundreds of gigs)? We have servers that take a
> *while* to "configure memory", and unless the BIOS setting for "quick
> post" is true, it takes forever. (We had one server that was taking 10-20
> MINUTES to finish the BIOS POST).
The machine have a 3 gb of memory
I do not have particular configurations on BIOS and when it start it's
very quick

>>> Sorry, I don't understand what you're saying here - it's just sentence
>>> fragments that don't tell me anything.
>> The OS does not have a DE
> A DE - default?

desktop environment
I do not have a desktop environment

>> When I turn off/on or reboot the machine, after grub  I see charge the
>> os but then when it should ask me for the login, black screen
> Do you mean you see the grub menu? Has it come all the way up? Do you have
> it coming up in runlevel 5? In the last case, you might have a problem
> with X.

now, I feel a power off/on and reboot the machine and the problem is not
present
on screen when charging the os (white / blue loading bar of centos) I
see: Disabling IRQ #23 but the system it start correctly
I do not hae X

>> I solve the problem by turn off/on the machine a couple of times
> VERY MUCH not a good solution. You might consider talking to the vendor
> about warranty support.

It's a old machine, I do not have plus assistance