[CentOS] Yum Segfaulting

Wed Dec 19 12:30:20 UTC 2012
James Pearson <james-p at moving-picture.com>

Ken Smith wrote:

> Hi James, brilliant "echo 3 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches" worked. So does
> that mean that there wasn't enough free memory for yum to run?

No, it might mean that there was a 'corruption' of the in-memory copy of
'something' used by yum/python

The above command flushes the file system cache - so the 'something' has
to be read back into memory from disk again (I have no idea what this
'something' is ...)

I guess this 'corruption' (if it is indeed a corruption) shouldn't
happen - but I have noticed this with yum before - and flushing the
cache in this way generally 'fixes' the issue for me

James Pearson