[CentOS] Ethernet puzzle

Fri Dec 28 20:07:10 UTC 2012
Ashley M. Kirchner <ashley at pcraft.com>

BIOS lists one device.

Motherboard does not have an interface card.

No fiber optic.

No BNC connector.

I commented out the "ghost" MAC address from udev's rules file and
rebooted.  It has not reappeared.  However, the problem I have is that the
ethernet ports don't stick in the same order.  They came up in a completely
different order.  I now have eth0, 1, and 4.  What was eth0 prior to the
reboot is now ... uh ... 'rename4' according to the udev messages:

udev: renamed network interface eth0 to rename2  (this is the Intel Pro 100
add-in card [e100 module])
udev: renamed network interface eth1 to eth0  (this is the SMC1255TX add-in
card [tulip module])
udev: renamed network interface rename2 to eth1
udev: renamed network interface eth2 to rename4  (this is the motherboard
ethernet port [VIA Rhine module])

What gives??  How can I tell it to either stop mucking with them, or to do
it in the order I want it to:
on-board: eth0
Intel: eth1
SMC: eth2