[CentOS] Live CD iso

Sat Dec 29 10:46:16 UTC 2012
James Freer <jessejazza3.uk at gmail.com>

On Sat, 29 Dec 2012, Phil Dobbin wrote:

> On 12/29/2012 09:54 AM, James Freer wrote:

>>> unless your broadband is metered, or really slow (and then should it be
>>> called broadband?), 4GB or whatever is really not that big of a deal.  a
>>> few hours, perhaps.

>>> or install it as a VM under VirtualBox or whatever.   Thats certainly
>>> how *I* test stuff, and indeed, I put 16GB ram into my latest desktop PC
>>> just so I can run several substantial VMs as needed.
>>
>> In the UK most broadband providers offer 10GB. After a distro CD, several
>> clips on Youtube, probably a fair bit of "surfing" - i find myself qualifying
>> for a reminder on broadband usage! I've got two spare PCs so i've never looked
>> at VM and certainly never had a PC capable of taking 16GB RAM. Current PC is
>> only about 18 months old so i think i need to shop more carefully next time.
>>
>> many thanks - i'm off to explore Centos again.

Hi Phil

> I'm with BT Infinity in the UK. Unmetered & 75 MBps down & 15 up.

hmm - i think i need to have a word with BT! But i don't see how you can be
unmetered and then 75 down and 15 up tbh. Bit more learning and exploring
necessary. Nice to know someone on the list is fron the UK.

> If servers are your thing, I picked up a Dell Poweredge 860 with 2 x
> Dual Core Xeons & 8 GB's of RAM for £30 off eBay just before Xmas. You
> can, of course, run XWindows on it. It's a tad heavy on the gas (it's
> about 285W I think) but it's perfect for VMs.

It's something i want to learn about. My hands are rather full copying with my
mother's Alzheimer's so i don't get enough time. I'll get back to you if that's
ok maybe with some questions. Our LUG group never meet for 'workshops' so i
don't have anyone to ask locally. I see you use several distros - Ubuntu
(im)Precise i've given up on.

yours
james