[CentOS] How does a linux DHCP machine inform DNS of its name and obtained address

Marko Vojinovic vvmarko at gmail.com
Wed Feb 1 03:52:44 UTC 2012

On Tuesday 31 January 2012 22:06:53 Jerry Geis wrote:
> I am using a number of DHCP devices on a network. Working fine with
> CentOS  5 x86_64.
> My question is now how do I tell the DNS (after I get my DHCP address)
> about my devices
> name and IP address so that others can find me by my machine name?

What you want is called "Dynamic DNS" (or DDNS for short), and it needs to be
active on the DNS server, if it is to work. You cannot make that work only by
configuring the client.

> I thought that was an automatic thing - but it appears not.

It is not automatic by default because in principle it can represent a
security vulnerability, if not used properly.

HTH, :-)
Marko