[CentOS] gtar compression achieved

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Wed Feb 1 16:32:54 UTC 2012

On Wed, Feb 1, 2012 at 10:22 AM, Alan McKay <alan.mckay at gmail.com> wrote:

>> I haven't used it for a while, but I thought it had an indexing
>> mechanism that would let you tell it what you want and it would tell
>> you the tapes you need and the order to restore them (for full +
>> incremental cases).  And it could re-index the tapes if you lost the
>> disk copy.   Maybe that doesn't fit your use, but it seemed handy.
>>

> In general it is massive overkill for what I"m doing.  Even if I wanted to
> switch backup solutions and move my backups to Amanda it would not be
> worthwhile to get this as an add-on because of the nature of the data I am
> dealing with.
>
> Case in point I have about 300G of data that one of the scientists copied
> over to my server from a piece of scientific equipment.   That 300G was
> never in my backups and I never want it to be.  But he needs it archived.
>
> Amanda is just way, way too too big for this.
>
> In 2 weeks I've got a program written that is tailored exactly to our
> needs.  THat's probably less time than it would have taken me to deploy
> Amanda.   And it would not have been tailored precisely to our needs.

'Deploying' amanda is a matter of installing the rpm and editing a
couple of config files about the tape drive, tapes, targets, and
holding space.  And maybe some firewall tweaking - but nothing really
complicated.   You get a lot of coverage of 'real-world' problems
already built in that will be hard to match in a new program, but you
do have to think the way it does...

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com