[CentOS] ip route and nexthop: the "CentOS" way

Steve Clark sclark at netwolves.com
Thu Feb 2 12:10:07 UTC 2012

On 02/02/2012 05:41 AM, Ljubomir Ljubojevic wrote:
> On 02/02/2012 11:28 AM, Nick wrote:
>> And if it isn't, is there anything I should bear in mind when hacking a script
>> to do this sort of thing, in order to avoid breaking my system or generally
>> fighting against the system's assumptions?
>>
> I would have ping the gateway of primary link (maybe both) and some
> outside IP on that path, and in case of timeouts I would activate
> changes or something. Like "heartbeat" tests.

Yes, we use a perl script that pings two different sites on the net using specific routes
to direct the pings out specific interfaces, if after a configurable number of pings get lost
out the primary interface the perl script changes the default route to the secondary interface
while still trying to ping out the primary interface, when a configurable number of pings out the
primary interface succeed the perl script changes the default route back to the primary.

--
Stephen Clark
*NetWolves*
Email: steve.clark at netwolves.com